JAKARTA - The military (TNI) said the suspicious object discovered at the Bung Karno stadium was part of the scenario of security drill ahead of the ASEAN Summit that will take place here on May 7-8.
"We have made various security threat scenarios such as bombings and their anticipatory measures in the way of an exercise," the chief of general staff of the army, Lt Gen S Suryo Prabowo, said here on Wednesday.
Suryo made the statement in connection with reports about the discovery earlier in the day of a suspicious object in a minibus at the first gate of the Bung Karno stadium compound near the summit's venue. He said there had been no real bomb threat.
He said the TNI in the drill assumed that someone had seen a suspicious object resembling a bomb in a vehicle and reported it to the police.
A bomb defusing unit then came, checked and secured it.
Suryo said based on the results of the drill, the TNI and the police had come to the conclusion they needed to increase coordination.
"A lot still has yet to be coordinated again with regard to security and checking," he said.
Jakarta Metropolitan Police chief Inspector General Sutarman confirmed the scenario in the drill saying it was done to test the readiness of summit security personnel.
Leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations will gather here on May 7-8 for their 18th summit.